Queen City Pool League
Attending: Ed Caswell (British American), Ron Michaud (Cercle 2), Tom LeBlanc (Cercle 3), Eric Milanese (Davignon 2), Paul Cere (Davignon 3), Peter Vallieres (Davignon 4), Steve Porter and Jim Kelly (Deerhead), George Carter (My Friends 1), Dan Simoneau (Rimmon), Tony Cote (Workmens),
Absent: Jim Beard (Cercle 1), Kim Janelle (Eastside),
1. NH State non-profit - Tom received back notification that our non-profit status has been reinstated. He needs to call them to get our ID number so that he can open a checking account. We will require 2 signatures on all checks. Primary signatures will be Ron Michaud and Tom LeBlanc. Sue Novak will also serve as a second signature as needed.
2. Treasurer report – Remaining funds have been transferred from Davignon to Cercle. As soon as account is set up Tom will deposit the checks he has for the start of season funds ($882.21) and the payment for the 3 Davignon teams ($600). Sue will forward the format for treasurer reporting to Tom LeBlanc. We had $235 remaining from banquet and Tom has paid out the $75. Total for league in cash/checks as of 8/30/16 is $1642.21.
3. 2016 Rules Committee update – No rules have been changed. Rules have only been reorganized and a table of contents added. We have also added the “assumed” rules and some general pool rules (for example: Club rules prevail). Both the 2015 rules (Table Rules) and new proposed rules (Proposed Table Rules) are posted on the web site. Please review so that we may vote on changing/accepting.
4. 2016 Handicap Committee update – Ron suggested that we start the league with the new handicap system but we will not finalize the handicaps until after the fourth week of play. Any changes that are made to the initial handicaps used will be back filled to update standings once a final system is approved. We will start the league with the 2 - 7 rating for all players.
All captains will take a picture of their score sheet at the end of each night and text it to Sue Novak at 315-3921. This will assist in obtaining stats for the handicaps.
5. Non-playing dates – We will not play the day after Thanksgiving. First half play-offs will start Friday, December 2nd. The second half will begin on December 23rd. League will finish in early March with playoffs taking us through early April 2017.
6. Player fees, Team fees - $20/player/year (from players which can paid in two payments but the full $20 must be paid to attend banquet), $200/team for host club. Once final rosters are determined for the half, I will give list to each captain so that they can note who has paid their full $20 fee.
7. Recommendations for Singles and Doubles locations – based on records of when tournaments were last held, the Eastside is up for the singles; Workmen’s is up for doubles. Since Workmen’s does not have enough space to hold the doubles in the main club, they will only get tournament if they move the tables to the hall like they did with the singles. If they do not want to move the tables, then the Cercle will host the doubles. Logistics of where other in-house leagues play during the tournament is the responsibility of the club and QCPL tournament has priority of play on tournament days.
8. CODE OF CONDUCT the board will need to create these rules. By doing this players who violate the code will know that there are consequences for misconduct.
9. Set playoff system - teams who finish 1 - 8 will play in the playoffs.
10. Vote on blind post vs alternating first post. – Eric Milanese suggested we abolish the rule on lagging for break and then have alternating posts. His suggestion was to have the visiting team break first and then alternate break. The visiting team will also post first with alternating first post. Passed unanimously. As a result two rule changes were voted on.
The current rules read
In determining the players to be partners for each game, both captains shall write their two (2) players' names on slips of paper and shall exchange such slips prior to the start of a game. If the names chosen to play cannot play as a result of an emergency then the captains need to talk before the start of the match and both teams will have the opportunity to change their players. (added to rule 3/5/14).
AWARDING THE BREAK
During regular season play, as well as in playoff matches, players designated to participate in Game 1 of the match shall be eligible to lag for award of the break. The team winning the lag (closest to the top rail) shall be awarded the break in Game 1 and the break shall alternate in the four (4) games thereafter. (revised at end of first half play in 2011-2012 season). In tournament games (Singles and Doubles) the player who has won the lag, or his partner, shall have the OPTION of breaking or allowing either of his opponents to do so. In order to promote fair play, a player competing in the lag should attempt to hit his ball at the same moment his opponent does so. One practice lag shall be allowed before the deciding lag
The new rules will read –
a. In determining the partners for each game, the visiting team will post the partners first in the first match, the home team then posts their team. In match two the home team will post first and then visiting team will post second. This will alternate for the remaining games. A blind post will no longer be used.
b. If the names chosen to play cannot play as a result of an emergency then both captains need to discuss this before the start of the match and both teams will have the opportunity to change their players.
2. AWARDING THE BREAK
a. During regular season play, as well as in playoff matches, the visiting team will break in the first, third and fifth match; the home team will break in matches two and four.
b. In tournament games (Singles and Doubles) players will lag for award of the break. The player winning the lag (closest to the top rail) shall be awarded the lag.
c. In tournament play the player who has won the lag, or his partner, shall have the OPTION of breaking or allowing his opponent(s) to do so.
d. In order to promote fair play, a player competing in the lag should attempt to hit his ball at the same moment his opponent does so.
e. One practice lag shall be allowed before the deciding lag.
11. A moment of silence was given in recognition of Josh Nault who passed on August 27, 2016.
12. Set next meeting date and location – October 4, 2016 at Deerhead at 7PM.
1. Rotating League trophy – We will start the rotating trophy from 2011 when we started using a handicap system. This trophy will be held at the winning team’s club until the next League winner is determined.
Meeting adjourned at 8:05 PM